Hair follicles need protein and other nutrients to grow, and when you compromise by cutting out nutritious food, it pushes hair to enter into the shedding phase (telogen) prematurely; even extreme stress can make this happen.
The problem is that hair growth goes through a cycle and any treatment might take 3 to 6 months to show results, so it’s prudent to concentrate on following a diet that would help you eat the right kind of food while putting you in a calorie deficit, such as the Rati Beauty diet. In this post, we list down 6 Ways To Prevent Hair Loss While Losing Weight. But before that, here’s a little info about telogen effluvium.
1. By Following a Nutrient-Dense Weight Loss diet: When you eat fewer calories and burn more through physical activity such as exercise, the body starts to burn extra fat, but when you do not eat a balanced diet and skimp on nutrients to cut down calories, such as protein, chromium, selenium, iron, biotin, zinc and antioxidants, hair follicles suffer and shedding of hair begins.
Making sure you are consuming nutrient-dense food even while cutting calories is important, and the Rati Beauty diet is a weight loss diet that helps you lose weight and makes sure you are having nutrient-rich meals while doing so. Download the Rati Beauty app for more details.
2. Increase Protein in Diet: Protein is a macronutrient that functions as the body’s building blocks; keratin which is needed for hair growth, and for its synthesis, protein, biotin, and several other nutrients are required. When your body doesn’t get enough protein, it can definitely result in hair loss.
Thus, if you’re following a weight loss diet that doesn’t give importance to protein, you may experience hair fall. Greek yogurt, lentils, beans, chicken, paneer, tofu, peanut butter, egg whites, etc. are all good sources of protein that you can include in your diet.
3. Amp up Healthy Fats: Research has shown that including omega-3 fatty acids improve hair health, density, thickness, and overall growth, and the good news is that omega-3 fatty acids are found in healthy fats such as fish, chia seeds, walnuts, flaxseed, etc. also boost fat burning! That’s a good reason to make a conscious effort to include healthy fats in your diet now.
4. Don’t take multivitamins on your own: There’s so much hype surrounding how certain hair vitamins boost hair growth and can prevent hair fall, but when it comes to supplements, always consult a doctor because an overdose of some nutrients, particularly vitamin A can result in hair fall and thin!
5. Exfoliate Scalp To Clear Buildup and Stimulate Hair Growth: Just as we exfoliate the skin to clear clogged pores, experts say scalp exfoliation can clear product buildup, stimulate blood circulation, and de-congest hair follicles to stimulate hair growth.
Apart from scalp scrubs available on the market, you can prepare your own scalp exfoliator by mixing equal quantities of lemon juice, olive oil, and salt, massaging in a circular motion, leaving the scrub for 10 to 15 minutes, and rinsing off with a mild shampoo.
6. Apply Onion Juice To Stimulate Hair Growth: Over the years, onions have become quite popular in their ability to control hair fall and in promoting hair growth. Onion contains elements like folic acid, vitamin C, E, and B, phosphorus, zinc, potassium, carotene, and magnesium, and these elements are highly beneficial for hair growth and to stop hair fall. You can get amazing benefits by applying onion juice directly onto the scalp.
— Muhammad Adeel to www.fashioncentral.pk